Thursday, February 28, 2013

Getting To Know TomboyTeez

Cat modeling our Rizzoli & Isles inspired softball jersey.


Cat Crimins is the Tomboy In Charge here at TomboyTeez.com and she's volunteered to be our next subject in the Getting To Know Us series.


Why did you decide to start TomboyTeez?
I've always loved t-shirts and the idea of designing my own shirts was one of those 'one day I'll do that' sort of thing. Then that day came and I realized I wanted to be my own boss and make a living doing the things I love. So I created the perfect job for myself. And at the same time I get to help tomboys everywhere express themselves and feel comfortable in their own skin. Win win.

Why name your company after tomboys?
I've been a tomboy my whole life. Most of my female friends are tomboys, gay and straight. It's a big part of who I am and how I present myself to the world. So when I was thinking of names for the company it was a no brainer. When you think of a tomboy's uniform you think t-shirts.


What does being a tomboy mean to you?
I guess its the perfect word to describe who I am. What else would you call a girl who loves sports and sci-fi and doesn't wear makeup everyday. Besides awesome. 

If you could be any animal in the world, what would you be?
North American domestic house cat. Looks like a permanent vacation to me.

Which TomboyTee is your favorite?
This is an impossible question but if I have to answer it I would say it's a tie. One of the first designs we ever had on the site was Not A Dude. This shirt was one of the original inspirations for the company because I get called sir all the time. So I feel like this is sort of my favorite by default. But I wear all of our shirts and the shirt I've been wearing the most lately is our Tracker Jacker shirt. I tend to wear our most recent shirts the most. 


Who is your favorite tomboy in history? Favorite tomboy right now? 
My favorite tomboy from history is Amelia Earhart. That's an easy one. My favorite tomboy right now is probably Sam Gordon, the 9 year old football phenom. Not only is she a natural athlete but she's excelling in a boy's sport. That's not an easy thing. She's doing what she loves and I hope she goes as far as she wants to within the sport of football.

What’s one thing people don’t know about?
Well it's probably no surprise that I'm a Star Wars fan but I have a pretty 
extensive collection of Princess Leia collectibles. I tend to go for the more obscure stuff. Vintage Leia shampoo, tooth brush, bar of soap in the shape of Leia. The older and the weirder the better. And I love Carrie Fisher. I met her once and I happened to be wearing a Princess Leia shirt at the time. She was awesome, signed an autograph and didn't call me a weirdo or anything.





No comments:

Post a Comment